11.3.04

outraged by ACM, thanks for asking

This really cheeses me off. The nominations for the Academy of Country Music Awards are out, and it's all boys in every major category, except for Martina McBride's nod for best album for the pretty good Martina, and of course the demeaning "Best Female" stuff. What the hell?

Last year was a really good year for records by female country artists, but somehow none of them had a #1 single or #1 album, and now no awards. Nothing for Patty Loveless' beautiful On Your Way Home, nothing for Sara Evans' bold Fearless, nothing for "This One's For the Girls" or Mindy Smith's version of "Jolene" or Terri Clark's two awesome singles ("I Just Wanna Be Mad" is so good it makes my ears hurt) or her awesome album...nothing. And certainly nothing for "Travelin' Soldier" by the Dixie Chicks.

I know no one out there cares about country music, and I know getting worked up about music awards is stupid, and awards in general are screwed. But still. I'm cheesed and I don't care who knows it.

No comments: